Urge lawmakers to invest in affordable homes!
Washington has a shortage of over 195,000 homes affordable and available to households earning less than half of the area median income. The Washington Housing Trust Fund provides homes for families with children, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities, farmworkers, and more.
The legislature should follow Governor Inslee’s lead and invest $240 million into the Housing Trust Fund to build affordable homes and another $10 million to preserve homes at risk of being lost to the private market.
- Email your legislators to urge their support of Housing Trust Fund investments HERE.
- Call your legislators and tell them:
“Hello Representative/Senator ________.
My name is __________. Your support for the Housing Trust Fund will make a profound difference this session. Now is the time to invest in affordable homes and shelter. While the risks of unsheltered homelessness have increased, Washington’s homeless shelter capacity significantly reduced in the last year, exacerbating our crisis.
The Capital Budget must invest deeply in affordable housing and homelessness to ensure Washington makes progress towards the day when every person has the opportunity for a safe and healthy place to sleep at night.
Please make the following investments in the 2021-23 Capital Budget:
- $240 million for the Housing Trust Fund.
- $10 million to preserve affordable housing at risk of loss.
- $70 million for the rapid acquisition of properties newly for sale due to the economic downturn.
- $40 million for enhanced shelter capacity grants.
These significant investments in affordable housing are needed in order to end homelessness, increase housing stability for those on the margins, and stimulate our economy. Thank you for your consideration and for your leadership.